On Green Lemongrass and Feeling Under the Sunny Weather.

My stomach and I are in a fight.  For several days, almost everything I put into it resulted in a stomach ache.  With my job, you can imagine how unpleasant this is, so I’ve been taking it very easy on the old digestive system.  I’m looking forward to when this bug (or whatever it is) passes, because it also makes me want to nap all the time.  If I give in to these sleepy temptations, however, there will be nothing for you to read, and human civilization as we know it will collapse.

With that responsibility on my shoulders, there are two point I’m following.  Consider them Lindsay’s Rules of Consumption:

1.  When feeling under the weather, do not put foods into your body containing large amounts of dairy, or anything that’s deep-fried.  Therefore deep-fried ice cream, as delicious as it sounds, is a really bad idea.

2.  Do put in steamed vegetables, plain rice, green papaya salad, and chicken satay.  Got that?  Good.

As so often happens, I found this meal by accident.  I was looking for another Vietnamese place, thinking pho would be good for me, when I spotted Green Lemongrass on Westminster Highway.

It’s a squat little restaurant in the shadow of a taller building, and looks as though it fell asleep on a beach one day and woke up in the city.  It’s shaded by palm trees and has a large patio in the front; if you’re positioned correctly and block out the sound of traffic, you can pretend you’re on vacay.

They have a large, English-friendly menu with appetizers, soups, rice and meat dishes, curry, vegetarian dishes, Vietnamese subs, and noodles.  I assumed I would get pho until I spotted the Green Papaya Salad ($7.75).  It sounded light, healthy, and very appropriate for the patio setting.  I also ordered the Chicken Satay ($6.75).

The salad (Goi Du Du) was everything I wanted.  At its base was a huge pile of finely julienned green papaya tossed in a light vinaigrette.  Green papaya isn’t sweet, but crunchy and fresh-tasting – the perfect flavour for summer.  Consider adding it to your next slaw, whether it be Vietnamese or not.

The salad was topped with lightly pickled carrot, crushed peanuts, very dry caramelized onions (they weren’t moist at all, just dark and candy-like), a generous amount of steamed prawns, and loads of fresh Thai basil.  Seriously, a beautiful sight.

The chicken satay had been marinated a long time (most recipes look something like this), and the char marks signalled the skewers had been properly grilled.  They were flavourful and tender, but just a little  too sweet for me.

I would have preferred a touch more salt and spice, thought the crushed peanut sauce DID have chill in it and was incredible.  That was the best part, and somehow my stomach managed it.  Yay!  Looks like we’re not fighting (so much) anymore.  But really, how can you possibly argue while sitting under palm trees?

Green Lemongrass Restaurant

8180 Westminster Highway, Richmond BC

604-270-6188

Cash and cards accepted

Plenty of vegetarian options

1. km

Another great blog; the salads sounds & looks fabulous.
    Hope you are feeling 100% again very soon.

I pass by this place a lot & have wondered about it. Thank you
    Next Malaysian one???? Steveston has one & lunch is good “Kari” with view of the river & reasonable
    Or any others
    Hope tummy gets well, you got still over 300 days to go LOL

3. Wylie

I do find that congee helps the stomach pains. My wife made chicken congee the other day (she makes it thick) and it served my stomach well!

4. Melvin

Am I the only one grossed out by opening a food blog to read about the writer’s digestive ailments?

5. grayelf

Having an upset stomach when you are a food blogger is like having your chain fall off when you are cycling. Feel better soon!

I love the Green Lemon Grass on Kingsway’s bot chien or pan fried rice cake which I notice they also serve at this one. It is L9 on the takeout menu and would be a good option for a tender tummy also as it is mild and comforting: “crispy rice flour and green onions pan fried with egg”

6. Rosa

Maybe you could recruit a fill in for your sick days? No fun, I know but imagine if you asked someone in the food industry to visit their favourite place to eat in Richmond!

Hope you feel better soon Lindsay. You are doing a fabulous job.

I know this post will be moderated out, as usual.
    But how come gray elf is allowed to advertise for Vancouver restaurants on a Tourism Richmond website?

8. Maureen Otway

Have you tried the Hue Cafe in Time Square on No 3 road?
    excellent for all sorts but the Pho soup is excellent and the fresh prawn salad rolls are to die for and the peanut sauce…wow

9. 3rdRock

Hope you feel better soon. I dine out a lot, and have learned to stay away from some. (lol not a helpful advice at all.) I am taking probiotic capsules daily, kiwi & banana smoothie, and leafy greens.

10. Bob

I have enjoyed the Green Lemongrass for years now. I do wish that you had not written about it. Now it will be hard to find a seat there!

11. signature eyewear

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make
    this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for
    you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to design my own
    blog and would like to know where u got this from.
    thanks a lot

12. thesandpaper.villagesoup.com

Hi there, jst became alert to you blog through Google, and foun that it’s truly informative.

I aam going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if yyou continue thiis in future.
    Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

13. social app

I was diagnosed with celiac over a year ago and have started inventing my own gluten-free recipes. I’ve gotten so many requests from people that I want to start a blog to start posting them. What free blog websites are out there and which ones are the easiest to access/most likely to pop up on a search engine?.

14. acne products

I was very happy to find this great site. I want to to thank you
    for your time for this particularly wonderful read!!
    I definitely really liked every little bit of
    it and i also have you saved to fav to see new things in your web site.